Tuesday, February 22, 2011

O’ How Time Hath Changed

Let’s face it. Kids today probably never played a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. Altered Beast will probably hurt their ultra-sophisticated eyes. We can’t blame them for what kind of visual tastes they have in videogames. It’s not their fault for being born in a later stage of gaming history. I, myself, never touched an Atari console and many people in my generation (late 80s to early 90s) can relate to the younger generation. However, there is no denying that times has changed in the gaming world.
Today’s games are…for lack of better words…strange. I’m not looking for nostalgia but it is quite apparent that some elements from “back in the day” is no longer there. Having a random time to think way too much, I believe the problem doesn’t come from one source. It’s multiple. The console giants: Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony (in alphabetical order), the game publishers and companies, and the extremely annoying fanboys…and fangirls, I suppose.
Make no mistake, I have no allegiance to any gaming giant. It’s not fun. It’s a culture that may have adverse effects on videogamers all because one guy popped a blood vessel frustrated with someone failing to understand the “epicness” of Call of Duty: Black Ops.
In the future, any well publicized game, good or bad, will be ripped apart by me. I will be your best friend one day and your worst enemy on the next day. The fandom culture will read at their own risk!

No comments: